A Day In My Life, Lived Fully

I awoke glad to have skipped shoveling the snow after 6 inches fell on Wednesday. By the end of the day, the driveway and walks would be clear after two warmer, sunny days. I brought my daughter to school, and then returned home to work and to wait for the Comcast technician to come and fix my phone service.

I got my work laptop and associated internet phone service up and running and called in to meeting after meeting. When the technician came, I juggled conversations with him and keeping up with my meetings. He eventually got the phones working by re-wiring all the jacks. I’m not sure why that was necessary, except that I got the impression that the first tech who installed the service had re-wired some of them in an attempt to get my service to work…which it didn’t.

This somehow messed up my connection to the corporate server, so I switched to my cell phone for the rest of my morning meetings. I had a lull in my schedule around noon, so I ate a hasty lunch and drove to the office for more meetings. I don’t regularly telecommute, but I had enjoyed the relative solitude of the morning. The afternoon was a rush of phone calls and meetings.

I had another opportunity to slip in some gym time. My daughter was in a play and then going to a Girl Scouts overnight to work on her Silver Award. Another family offered to take her with them to dinner before the play, then afterward to drive her to the Scout leader’s house which was near their own. In exchange, I would pick their daughter up in the morning and take her to her home. So, I had an extra hour before having to be at their school to see the play.

At the gym, I felt more confident this time, and worked my way through the lower body workout. It was easier than my first attempt at the upper body workout, but I know my legs, after all the running that I’ve done, are ready for weight training. As I drove home for a quick dinner, I wondered if I should try to do both upper and lower body workouts at one time. It would be much more efficient and easier to fit into my schedule; something to think about.

I slipped in to the school’s auditorium just in time to hear the director describe how he had taken the ideas of all of the children into account to write a play to satisfy them all. It was part Nordic elf legend and part Celtic fairy legend and full of fairy queens with long dresses. My daughter was the Summer Queen, wearing the orange chiffon dress that I’d stressed over in an earlier post.

As the play unfolded, a beautiful young woman in a long orange dress entered the stage and in a commanding fashion, made her statements amongst the discussion with the other queens. It was a moment to be lived fully and committed to memory, seeing my youngest child practically grown up, doing something she loves.

After many photos, hugs, and smiles, I left her and drove home alone. I pulled out an old favorite movie and watched it unfold as I wrote about my day.

Find the Joy in the Journey…the Joy in every day!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s